Saturday, July 25, 2009

IN ABOUT 5 YEARS...



Though I overheard Grandpa Vance say to Jake that he'd like to take him for a ride in the Monte Carlo, I didn't think much of it. Grandpa has taken Jake before. So, while the rest of us were busy eating our breakfast at Bowmans, Grandpa V took Jake for a drive. I don't know even how long they were gone, but when they returned Jake had a big smile on his face.

Come to find out, Grandpa V took Jake up to the cemetery and let Jake drive that beast of a vehicle. As Grandpa put it "I took Jake up where I taught his mom to drive". I guess Jake was so excited (or possibly nervous, though he denies it), that as he scooted over to the driver's side to take the wheel, and Gramps got out to come around the car to get inside the passenger side, Jake took off.

Gramps only let Jake drive down one of the straight paths in the cemetery. Good thing because I don't know how anyone could steer that car around any of the corners in the cemetery. I fondly remember driving the family's grey station wagon (remember siblings....the one with the red bug deflector screen on the front of the car?) around one particular corner and ramming the car's front into a T-post. Let's just say, my dad's reaction is one I won't forget. But we both got over it.

So, Grampa V taught Jake to ride a bike and now he is getting a head start on driving a car...Go Gramps, Go!

3 comments:

sarita said...

Ryan and I laughed out loud about Jake taking off while your dad was moving to the passenger side of the car. I bet that freaked them both out!

bevany said...

Only your dad would let Jake do that. So funny!

The Art of Kim Kincaid said...

Really enjoying all your posts, E. Great photos. Especially like the one of Liv and the ice cream.