Saturday, November 10, 2007

FAREWELL DEAR ONE

(Here is Grandma Garfield with Ian back in May 2004 when we came down for a cousin's wedding.)

Early this morning around 5.00am, my Grandma Garfield passed away. It's been something we've all been anticipating, but she kept hanging on despite the cancer that was taking away her physical body. I can't really say I'm sad. I suppose having about 3 months knowing she was going to die, gave everyone adequate time to say goodbye and reflect on the many wonderful memories we've had with her.

Though she has lived in St. George and we aren't too far away, I haven't physically seen her on a regular basis, but I have kept in contact with her for many years with letters. I will miss her birthday cards, her letters and her little notes she'd send, always typed with the exception of her shaky handwritten signature. I have kept every one I've received from her.

Grandma was a beautiful person and I know everyone says that about someone who has passed away, but I'm not being cliche here. She was just beautiful. I hope I look half as good as she has. With her white hair, fair skin, twinkly eyes and a wonderful smile. She always had a kiss ready for your cheek and arms open for a comforting embrace.

Though she'll be missed, she has left behind an amazing heritage. I'm grateful to be a part of the Garfield Family.




(Last August 2006, my mom and sisters and I had a Girl's Weekend in Cedar City for the Shakespearean Festival.
We made a pit stop to see Grandma first.)

2 comments:

The Art of Kim Kincaid said...

What a wonderful tribute to Genevieve, Erinne.

The Hadleys said...

I'm sorry to hear about your grandmother. Mine passed away a few months ago and I miss her so much. Reading your blog made me smile and think of my grandma again.